Captain James Chen a highly analytical Ocean Shipping and Warehousing executive with diverse experience in process, project, technology, change management, procurement, sales and marketing, business development and leadership. A wealth of international supply chain knowledge with excellent execution and coalition building skills.
Having graduated from a maritime university Captain Chen worked for Tung’s Group of Hong Kong (Oriental Overseas Container Lines’ mother company) from Apprentice Officer through Master Mariner (Captain). Subsequently joint the management team in Hong Kong head office and various management positions in European territorial office of London, Gulf regional office of Houston, Managing Director of Indonesia, North America territorial office in Northern California, South West regional and OOCL Logistics offices in Southern California till his retirement from the group. Over his long service with the group in different Continents and various positions, Captain Chen had the opportunity to expose to the cultures and business behavior of various countries with high adoptability and perceived business success.
Captain Chen spent another 5 years as Vice President of Operation and Customer Service in Universal Shipping Inc., a NVOCC (Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier), Freight Forwarding and 3rd Logistics (Shipping, Warehousing & Domestic Distribution) company in Pomona, California, actively involved with FMC (Federal Maritime Commission), U.S. Customs, Department of Home Land Security and Regulatory matters. Including having the ownership of C-TPAC (Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) program on behalf of the company.
Captain Chen’s expertise include:
- Bolts and Nuts of Shipping: Navigation, Shipboard Operation & Safety, Security, Ship Management and Shipping Lines’ Vessel Space Sharing agreement & practice etc.
- Some International Maritime Law, Federal Maritime Commission Regulations and Maritime Underwriting Practice etc.
- Marine Terminal Operations.
- Oversize Cargo & Dangerous Cargo Handling.
- 3rd Party Logistic Warehousing & Domestic Distribution.
- Shipment Management System, Warehouse Management System, ISO 9000, U.S. Customs Import (Automated Manifest System) and Export (ACE) filing system etc.
- S. Home Land Security’s C-TPAC (Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) program.
- Customer Service driven mentality with experiences of handling of Fortune 500 Companies of: Dole Food Company, Walmart, JASCO (GE Company), Black & Decker, Bextel, US Gypsum and Asia Pulp & Paper etc.
Captain Chen is also a photographer, currently leads a 5 members’ “Photographers’ In Christ’s Service” team in a major international church (Saddleback Church) to serve the Lord and the community.
Captain Chen gained his B.S. degree in Navigation from Taiwan National Maritime University, Master Mariner (Captain) license and attended Standard University & National University of Singapore’s Joint Executive Program.
Captain Chen is fluent in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Yunanese, some Shanghainese and understand some Burmese. And a U.S. citizen.